May 28, 2012

Intuition




There is something about coming in to this view last wednesday, after the day we had on Tuesday that makes you want to jump up and down and sing. Tuesday was a foggy, wet mess. At one point my co-worker Michelle looked up, and seeing the storm outside, cried "What a horrible day!"

Tuesday night I laid in bed reading and smiled because I had done something very exciting and brave. It began with a familiar inner dialouge which went something like this:

"I could really go for some (choose a flavor) Ben and Jerrys"

"Not a great idea. you've already had chocolate today remember?"

"Oh yeah, true."

Five minutes goes by

"I could really go for some (choose a flavor) Ben and Jerry's"

"Alright, compromise, if you ride your bike to the store you can get some. Plus you need contact solution."

So I got on a bike and rode toward the store. One problem though, the air was filled with mist and rain and it was cold. After a few moments I thought I should head back. I circled around my neighborhood, but then realized that that wasn't what I wanted. I wasn't so cold anymore and the lightness the bike provided as I flew through the small streets was unparalleled. So I rode, and before I knew it I was way past the store and practically flying. I whizzed through neighborhoods with huge green trees that grew over the streets all the while inhaling the sweet smell of rain and flowers. After what felt like no time at all, I finally stopped and took in my surroundings. I was in a neighborhood several miles from my house. I looked down at my hands, they were shaking.

When I got home, my entire back and legs were covered in mud and water. I threw my clothes in the washing machine and jumped into a hot shower. A bit later, I slid into bed to read "Unbroken" with a smile on my face. It was a good night.

1 comment:

Lisa Hakes said...

It's sooo great to see where you work, and to hear of your conquest of Ben and Jerry's! I don't know if I could be as controlled