Feb 17, 2009

Cleaning up

*warning, this post is not meant to be read while eating, in fact its not meant for the faint of stomach at all* Because I am an unemployed grad student and living with my parents and having recently coughed up dough for a labtop, ridiculously priced school books (seriously, how do they sleep at night?), and tuition, I've depleted my much needed cash flow. So I asked my lovely mom if there were any chores around the house I could do to earn some money. I know. Its like I'm twelve again and trying to earn money for the oceanography trip to San Diego. When you go to my mom with offers of help, you best be ready because she will hand you more than you ever wanted (she does pay well). I spent a whole summer of my youth painting baseboards. I've seen my brothers climb down into the basement window well dressed in snowbibs, gloves and hats to 'de-spider'. So I had to hold my breath. She gave me two words; "fridge" and "pantry". Now, that probably doesn't sound that bad, but it might as well have been the opening chords for a bad American idol audition. I cringed visibly. And I'm pretty sure the words, "anything but that" came out, or atlease I was thinking them. Seriously, you haven't seen our fridge. We could donate some things in there to science. And as I spent a couple of hours on all fours scrubbing, here is what I found: A can of peas, conglomerated into what looked like a honeycomb A jar of pepporoni's that had turned brown A wedge of fuzzy blue cheese Salsa with exp. date 2005 (remember when we cleaned out gramma's pantry and found that syrup from 1999?!) And to my torment: some red 'mystery' sauce dripped all over back wall The pantry wasn't as bad. The only find being a bag of old potatoes that looked like they had sprouts growing out of them. Usually my dad cleans out the fridge. I dunno why but he likes it. He'll find all sorts of crazy stuff and come show us when he finds it. This always grossed me out. But I found myself doing the same thing, even running down the hallway to show meesa the peas.

5 comments:

Haught Fudge said...

What is it with your family and loving to show weird gross stuff to each other? I guess its how you share. :) I'm glad you shared this story.

Cassi Wood said...

You should ask Kalli what she tried to show us...uuuuhhhh. Bear! I want to clean out the fridge. Mom said she has been waiting until I get home to do it. Everytime I open Grama's fridge I want to clean it out, but she has a hard time letting things go, so I restrain myself.

Marcus and Cami Bluth said...

Carrie, I love your story. I hope you were paid well. The most frustrating thing in that house is the fridge. I hate going to visit, opening the fridge and having something inevitably fall on the floor and splatter into a big mess. The first thought in my mind is "Am I really responsible for cleaning that up?" My husband also despises that fridge, and I am constantly being told to clean up my own fridge lest I should turn into another Lisa. I have to chuckle at the idea of Cassi having to restrain herself from cleaning Grandma's fridge!

Ro Ro Riot said...

We'll pay you to clean up our whole apartment when you come...

Mama said...

Okay, guys, I will repent...I promise, but to my credit, I think GM Hakes is awesome and if she has a bad frig, then I am proud to have one too. But I will try to do better, even though I hate my frig.