May 21, 2009

T2

A couple of nights ago I went to see a showing of the new Terminator. I'm not anti-action movies-with-endless-sequels, but they typically aren't my favorite thing either. 
However, when it comes to Terminator II, well that is just a different story. Seriously, how much more awesome can you get than a movie written/directed by James Cameron:
Starring Linda Hamilton's Biceps:
 And the hot police officer (who's actually just a freaky robot):
Not to mention (and just as cool), Arnold S. "Hasta la vista", a ridiculously long motorcycle chase scene, and totally ahead of its time special effects.  
The new Terminator Salvation also had many a neat effect (including a sweet cgi replica of the Arnold Terminator). Still I couldn't help but notice the difference between the two movies:
a. New Terminator submerged itself in the effects, relying on them as a sort of visual showcase to create fear, awe, excitement, humor etc. to inform, drive and create the story.
b. the original T2 used a well-developed story driven by well-rounded characters -  filled in by some freaking cool effects that contributed to (note: not created) the story. 
And therein lies my beef with the action genre. Sometimes I just want the writer/director/producer to get away from the computer and start investigating human interaction again. Look at J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Lost, Fringe).
Ok so even though I put T4 down, I still would recommend seeing it. If only for the fact that the effects are sweet and Christian Bale has a voice like a rock-crusher.

4 comments:

Hayley said...

I would leave my spouse for James Cameron.

Mama said...

I guess we'll have to go see T4 when it gets to the dollar. But I do think that even though the writers/produces/ sat a lot at an animation computer to come-up with "UP", it does have so much depth and sweetness and makes you cry...way to go hollywood!!

Kelly Wood said...

Carrie Bear, I enjoyed this post. I appreciate your film reviews. Keep them coming.

Ps-I thought you hated James Cameron...remember our Titanic Video? It was you in a yuppy outfit.

Carrie said...

You have to respect his movies- the effects and the melodrama.